Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fig and Honey Tarts

Fresh figs from the neighbours tree
Figs, love em or hate em? They don't seem to be the most popular fruit on the block but they do have a certain romantic and sensual quality. They always seem to be paired with blue cheese and oozing juice. Mine unfortunately, didn't ooze and because the birds get there before me, were picked a little under ripe.
According my buddy Google, you can't ripen them off the tree, I thought its worth a try so left them in a bowl for a few days. I also read that they are ripe when the stud at the bottom starts to open.

Fig and Manuka honey tarts
My figs started to seep a fragrant liquid but never reached the beautiful deep ruby colour I was expecting. They were soft and edible but the taste was rather neutral. The dilemma was what to do with them?  I even googled "what to do with un-ripe figs."
I decided EASY was the way to go and happened to have some sweet pastry in the fridge from a failed attempt at jammy pinwheels for morning tea at school. I also decided that the figs needed, as they say in France a little bit of "Je ne sais quois"...
A type of syrup would work but keeping it EASY, I though why not honey - its syrupy, sweet and even better I had a pot of delicious Manuka honey sitting in my fridge.
Delicious with Greek yoghurt
What you need
1 packet of sweet short crust pastry
Fresh figs 1 small one per tart
Honey 2 teaspoons per tart

How to make 
Put the pastry into muffin trays and smooth up the side - no need to line or butter.
There is no need to blind bake either
Chop up the figs in cubes and place into the pastry parcels.
Drizzle 2 teaspoons of melted honey onto each tart.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 180 degrees or until the pastry is golden.
Remove form the trays after about 5-10 minutes. (If you leave them in the trays the honey sets like toffee so they may stick!)

If you are lucky enough to discover a fig tree you can raid - get cracking and give these treats ago!
If you get beautiful ripe figs, make a BIG tart and slice the figs into quarters and arrange in a stunning circular pattern. Serve with yogurt, ice cream or custard.
Vanessa
Hosted this month by Emma @ www.mydarlinglemonthyme.com
Check out her beautiful blog and if you live in NZ get involved in  the monthly blogging event - Sweet New Zealand...

7 comments:

  1. I went up to my tree on the road but only one single fig was ripe!
    Nice tarts, entry for Sweet NZ??? This month's host is Emma, info here
    http://www.mydarlinglemonthyme.com/2012/03/sweet-new-zealand.html

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey yes - I know we have been promising to get on to that - A job for this weekend...

    My figs weren't particularly ripe BUT worked in a tart with greek yoghurt.
    I cant seem to beat the birds to them and as they aren't my trees LOL cant really start putting netting on them.
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love the look of figs & I do try to love them as everyone raves about them so! Haven't gone down the tart route but these look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mari, the only problem is getting them ripe! If you see any ripe ones on your travels let me know...
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love figs and planted a tree two years ago, this year was to be my first mini crop but while away for work the past two weeks the fruit exploded ....boo..hoo. Lucky me though, a friend just sent a tray of them round so I will be busy this weekend. They are soft too but still green, I think it is the type of fig. Alli@peasepudding

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah maybe you are right about it being the type of fig, I keep sneaking into the neighbours to check and they are going ruby red on the outside and quite soft but only a hint of pinkness inside... They taste OK but like I said in the blog - pretty neutral and nothing I would RAVE about...
    The leaves are nearly all gone on the tree too so I am thinking its nearly all over.
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Mairi, I feel like I've spent my whole adult life trying to like figs... that time finally came a few years ago when I made fig and ginger jam! I've always loved dried figs, so it seems I just prefer the flavour of cooked/dried figs over fresh. There are different varieties of figs too, and I think the ones you have don't really get all that sweet and pink in the centre.
    Thanks for your Sweet NZ entry xx

    ReplyDelete