Thursday, August 12, 2010

and with one can of tomatoes, a cookbook can be made

Vanessa and I are always talking about what sort of cookbook we would like to do when we get our 'lucky' break. Our ideas are very different, probably because my big sis holds the better gourmet genes whilst I'm discovering a whole new set of tastes after pregnancy turned me back to a hearty meat-eater after 20 years as a vegetarian.

I always liked the idea of recipes based around one can of tomatoes, a staple in most kiwi kitchens and a great base for a multitude of dishes. I know Vanessa, will be thinking 'BORING! SIS' and the next time we hook up she will add her little bit of fancy dust and wa la she will turn my can of tomatoes into something super saucy, but before she does, I'll share with you my dinner for two that I made tonight - (the bloke rated it a 8.5 out of ten - not bad!)

Indian spiced chicken in tomatoes

1 onion - diced
2 tsp garlic - crushed
1 chicken breast - diced

Spices
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp chilli
1 tsp tumeric

2 Tbsp tomato paste
half can of chopped tomatoes
handful of frozen peas
squeeze of lime or lemon juice


In a pan, add oil, and fry onions and garlic. Add spices, fry for a minute. Add chicken and brown. Add tomato paste. Mix. Add half a can of chopped tomatoes, simmer for a few mins and then add frozen peas, squeeze of lime or lemon and simmer for two mins. Serve on rice, or with Naan bread

Delicious. Ingrid


No comments:

Post a Comment